Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Carolina Chickadee, The Bringer of News


A Carolina Chickadee at the Long Branch Nature Center feeder 

       The cold snap today reminded me of one of our best loved backyard birds, the Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis). Their energy and resourcefulness, along with some unique biological adaptations, allow them to live in our yards year round despite the weather. In winter, when most other insect eating-birds have migrated, they augment their diet with seeds. People who feed birds are likely to find chickadees to be among their best customers, being particularly fond of black oil sunflower seeds. Feeders can be a real benefit when it gets extremely cold (under 10 degrees F). Chickadees need 20 times more food in winter than summer to maintain their metabolisms, so the extra seed or suet can be a life saver. Finding 60% (the equivalent of 250 sunflower seeds for a chickadee) of their body weight in food each day is not easy. As if planning ahead, they frequently cache food away under loose bark or other nooks and crannies.
     Chickadees have several ways of conserving energy in winter. Like most birds, they fluff up their feathers (of which they grow up to 30% more in winter) to trap body-warmed air. They also can reduce their body temperature as much as 20 degrees on winter nights to conserve fat reserves, an adaptive form of hypothermia.
     Chickadees are extremely curious and often take unwarranted risks. Bird watchers know that it’s often a chickadee that’s first to respond to the “pishing” call “birders” use to lure birds out into the open. They often lead mixed flocks of birds in mobbing screech owls and other predators as well. Some of their many calls are used to warn each other and even other animals of danger also. Tom Starr, a notable figure in Cherokee history, claimed to have had his life saved when he heard a tsikilili (chickadee) give its warning call. He realized he was being followed and supposedly escaped to safety. To the Cherokee, a tsikilili is considered a bringer of news. I believe Tom Starr’s story. Oftentimes I’ve heard chickadees raising a ruckus and investigated. Usually it was just a cat, but sometimes it was a snake, screech owl, or something even more interesting.
     Once I was testing my skills calling turkeys at a park where I worked, when the gobblers I was “talking” to suddenly went quiet. I thought I had hit a sour note when I heard something approaching me. It was a red fox, apparently looking for a turkey dinner. Several chickadees heralded his arrival, and it may have been their calls that saved a turkey’s life. The chickadees got to within a foot or so of that fox (and the fox got within 5 feet of me before I stood up and gave it a good scare), trusting in their quickness to let them get away. With that much commotion and pestering, it would have been hard to sneak up on anything.
     It’s easy to get chickadees to nest in your yard, as they will use just about any bird box, but you can exclude larger birds by making the entrance hole about 1-1/8”. Try putting a box up in February (they may even roost in it on colder winter nights) in an evergreen tree if possible. Six to 12 feet is plenty high. You can increase the chances of getting them to accept your gift by placing some leaves inside, since chickadees often use “house cleaning” as a pair bonding ritual. If you get them to nest, don’t disturb them. You might get a surprise if you do, as female chickadees can produce a scary snake-like hiss. More importantly, you can cause harm by stressing them and it’s illegal to bother nesting wildlife anyways.
     Some people have tamed chickadees to the point of eating out of their hands. I once did. It was amusing to watch them chisel open seeds or try and wrestle them from my fingers when I refused to let go. They seem to pick the fattest seeds first, normally taking them to a more secluded place to actually eat them. Even if you don’t have as bold chickadees as I had, these little dynamos are fun to watch all year long, whether pestering a predator, stealing a tuft of hair from a dog for their nest, or making use of a bird house. Since chickadees can live up to 12 years (though wild ones live much shorter lives) and are so easy to attract, you may want to be a good neighbor and really get to know them.

6 comments:

  1. Alonso, I enjoyed your post on these precious little Chickadees! I love seeing them come to get the sunflower seeds that I put out for the birds during the winter here in central Virginia. Thanks for sharing your world of Nature, there in Arlington!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying it! Please let me know if you have any suggestions on improvements.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Alonso, this was delightful. I had them eating from my hand as a child and my little nephew tamed one to his hand in Queens, NY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the more memorable moments of my early years was having these little guys wrestle seeds from my finger tips! The gusto they went at it and the fun ways they figured out how to get to the meat were wonderful! Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Alonso, this reminds me of a question I've had for a long time. When did birds adapt to eating suet? What is their fat source in the wild--I can't imagine them eating the remains of a cow. . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suet is a replacement for the fats and proteins they get from the insects they seek to get and use to feed on in the warmer months that they have a much harder time finding in the winter.

      Delete